Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Costa Rica 2010

This blog is long past due...but honestly, I've been dreading uploading all of these photos. Matt and I went to Costa Rica February 26-March 7th, 2010. It was an amazing experience, beautiful, tropical vacation...but so hard to be away from Patrick for that long. We went with a 2 other couples, and rented a house on the Pacific side of the country (Hermosa Beach). Since we didn't stay at a resort, or in a heavily populated area, we were required to "live the Costa Rican lifestyle". We didn't brush up on our Spanish prior to leaving, why, I don't know know...because it would have come in very handy, o-well we caught on fast.

The first day we were there (Sunday) Chris lost our rental car keys in the ocean, and Matt had locked the house key into the rental car...That was an experience, we had to find someone to speak English and "break" into our car to get the keys out. But we did and the rental car company sent a replacement set of key on a bus to our region (5 hours away) it only took 24 hours, but we made it. There was a lot of beach time, which was my favorite....ahhh sunshine (though being so fair complected, I hate to be very careful...burns happened quick down there).

We zip-lined (aka Canopy Tour) through the rain forest...yes, I actually did it. I surprised myself! 17 zip-lines total, I did cry through the first 3 since I'm TOTALLY afraid of heights, but I survived. It was cool to see the view. At one point there were monkeys in the trees next to me, crazy, but cool! The next day we hiked at the volcano, we couldn't make it to the summit since it was dry season (safety first... ;)) but we did another hike to a waterfall...No joke, it was the hardest hike of my life, but the waterfall was worth every drop of sweat, beautiful! We swam in it, and Matt even jumped through it. I will post that video another time. Then following the hike we were able to relax in the volcanic hot-springs...HOT, HOT, HOT! They were so relaxing, I didn't know such a thing existed, but it was fun!

The rest of the days involved relaxation and shopping...it was great time. We are happy to be back with our little guy (who got spoiled by grandparents and Aunt Stephie's family).

Enjoy the pictures!


Roads in Costa Rica were all but developed...a lot of gravel, winding and ROUGH. But this was a new one...a tree in the middle of the road...what to do, what to do!
These were the volcanic hot springs...multiple spas all were different temperatures, the medium was as hot as I could stand...
Matt and I at the waterfall...it was surprisingly cold. Refreshing after a long hike.
Jordan, Melissa, Me and Matt in the waterfall lagoon.
Matt before he jumped through the waterfall
aaaaaaaaamazing!!
The trees at the volcano were huge...these photos don't even begin to show their size.

The gang prior to zip-lining (Melissa, Seth, Chris, Jordan, Matt and me)
hot and sweaty, after 1/2 the zip-lines...
Superman Matt
This was a day of golfing in Costa Rica. This was said to be one of the finest courses in the country...hmmmm, spray painted signs?? I know we went here during "dry season" but there was lot of "rough" areas!

Me, Jordan & Melissa

Playa Hermosa (the Pacific Ocean), there were very strong waves all the time.. These were very fun to body surf in!
Coke Light??? Where did Diet Coke go?
Playa Hermosa
This was our rental house (back)
Our rental house (front)
Our first night out at our favorite restaurant
the geckos were everywhere....arrrg, I never got used to them!
This is what they called an Emergency Room...scary! Note to self, don't get hurt!
This was a ghetto gas station, there weren't lights inside the restrooms...and sinks were outside.

Hello Costa Rica, The Houser's arriving at the airport!
Matt caught some fish, while deep-sea fishing


This sunset view from our house never got old...ahhhhhh!!
Costa Rica is known for it's coffee...we went to a plantation, I don't love coffee...but its smelled amazing!

A Catholic church, guess they don't want you to fall asleep in here...rough pews!!
The alter had a strange "casket" with a model of Jesus inside...creepy, I know.
outside the churchThis was a Catholic school...poor community...it had barbed wire surrounding it and was very run down.


No comments: